Regulations and Lighting Codes
- IDA Board Policy on the Application of the Lighting Principles Adopted January 28, 2021
- Good Lights for Good Nights
One-page sheet of line drawings showing good and bad lighting fixtures. Compliments of Bob Crelin.
- Guidelines for Good Exterior Lighting Plans
Developed in consultation with lighting professionals, these guidelines will help you prepare exterior lighting plans that are sensitive to light pollution abatement and the preservation of dark skies.
- IDA's Dark Sky Planning Guidance and Best Practices
An introduction and planning guide for local leaders.
- How to talk to your neighbor
A one-page guide to talking with your neighbor who has bad lighting.
- East Hampton Residential Outdoor Lighting Brochure
PDF brochure describing residential lighting information and requirements for the Town of East Hampton.
- What is Light Pollution?
A one-page guide that describes the basic components of light pollution.
- Municipal Guidelines for Lighting in the Right of Way
"Prepared by Susan Harder and Tom Horn (Resource Conservation Manager) for East Hampton, NY in consultation with Leo Smith, Member, IESNA Roadway Lighting Committee"
- IDA Lighting Code Handbook
A PDF version of the IDA's lighting code handbook, an excellent guide to municipal and commercial lighting issues as well as the means to regulate the use of such lighting.
- Bird-safe Building Guidelines
New York City Audubon has just published Bird-Safe Building Guidelines, a 55-page manual for architects, landscape designers, engineers, glass technicians, developers, building managers, city, state, and federal officials, and the general public.
- Bird Safe Lighting
Short set of guidelines from the US Fish and Wildlife Service on bird-safe lighting.
- Development of Outdoor Lighting Regulations
With greater concern for energy conservation and an increasing awareness of problems due to light pollution, there is a desire by communities to enact comprehensive and effective outdoor lighting regulations. This guide provides information on developing such regulations.
- Vermont Outdoor Lighting Guidelines for Municipalities
Outdoor lighting guide for Vermont municipalities (PDF, 5 MB) downloaded from here
- East Hampton LP Mailer
The Town of East Hampton, NY sent this beautiful four-fold color flyer to every resident. Visit www.town.east-hampton.ny.us for more information about the town.
- Lighting for Safety and Security
One-page document describing considerations of how lighting enhances or detracts from safety and security.
- White paper: Metal Halide vs High Pressure Sodium
This white paper examines the reasons to choose HPS over MH lamps. By Susan Harder.
- Lighting code of Lloyd Harbor, NY - PDF file (87 KB)